Since I last left you, we were in the middle of hot, hot summer. I'm sitting by an open window right now, writing this post in our apartment with the fresh, crisp, fall air blowing in, aaaand I'm realizing that i've really left you guys in the dark for far too long.
So, let me catch you up on the end of my summer, and leave you with a perfect recipe for chilly fall days/nights!
Well, first of all, I want to share some really special news with you all...
Now as you know, Scott and I have been dating for almost 2 years now. He truly is my BEST friend! We both value honesty, directness, healthy living, and we have the same sense of humor. I really don't think I could be with a more perfect person, for me.
Well...in early August, Scott decided to up the ante and...
That's right folks, in a little more than a year, LilB will no longer be LilB, but LilM? It was such a perfect proposal for us. We got up at like 5:30am to go hiking at Starved Rock and 5 minutes into our hike at the beautiful park overlook at Lover's Leap - Scott asked me to take the leap (corny I know, but that's how proposal stories are supposed to be right?!)
Anyway, my Type-A brain is in full-swing planning the heck out of our wedding, but don't worry, I'm no Bridezilla...yet...it's just really really FUN!
It's also been really fun celebrating with friends and family
Dinner w/ Brother B the night of our engagement
Family engagement party
Aside from our engagement, we've had the opportunity of celebrating a VERY special couple.
Scott and I got to celebrate the marriage of our two dear friends mid August. Not only are these two beautiful people close friends of ours, but they're actually the ones who introduced me and Scott as well!!
It was a BEAUTIFUL and FUN wedding, and Lauren was a GORGEOUS bride!
Celebrating at the reception!
Well, I think those are the really big life events I needed to fill you all in on. So let's get cookin'!
Today's recipe is for something that I think makes fall feel SUPER cozy - chicken soup!! This isn't any ol' chicken soup though, the recipe I have for you today is for a Chicken Zoodle Soup - see what I did there?! Not real noodles, but zuchinni ones, so ZOODLES!!! This is such a quick and easy recipe and is the perfect and nutritious fall food that I crave A LOT this time of year.
Crockpot Chicken Zoodle Soup
* 2 - 4 Bone-in, skin on, chicken thighs - preferably from organic free-range chickens
* 1 - 2 cups of mixed veggies. I used a broccoli, cauliflower, carrot blend. The estimate is rough, because it really depends on how many veggies you want :)
* 1 large or 2 medium zuchinnis
* Approx. 1 quart of shitake mushrooms
* 4 cloves of peeled garlic (don't serve them with the soup, they just add flavor to the broth)
* 1 thick slice of fresh ginger cut in half (don't serve with the soup, just for broth flavor)
* 1/2 cup of diced onion
* Approx. 1-2 tsp Peppercorns (remove before serving)
* Salt to taste
1) Wash chicken, pat dry, and place in the bottom of your crockpot
2) Layer on mixed veggies, mushrooms, onions, peeled garlic, and peeled ginger
3) Use a potato peeler or spiralizer to create zucchini noodles! The potato peeler is a really quick and easy way to make noodles. Cut up the leftover zucchini into bite-sized chunks and throw into crockpot as well
4) Fill the crockpot with filtered water - leave a little room at the top
5) Add peppercorns and salt to taste
6) Cook soup on low for 8-10 hours
7) Serve and ENJOY!!!
That's all that I have for you today guys! Have a wonderful fall day and I'll be back REAL soon!
XOXO - LilB